In Stripe on Steroids: 11 Ways to Supercharge Your Online Store we're shown some of the powerful apps built using the popular payment gateway Stripe, like an invoice generator and customer analytics
PayPal are planning to introduce a new In-Context Checkout process that is aimed at making online payments quicker for the customer. Instead of sending customers to the PayPal website to complete a transaction, payments will be taken on the merchant's website in a modal-style box.
The five types of ecommerce customer
In Designing for 5 Types of E-Commerce Shoppers, research from the Nielsen Norman Group shows that shoppers can be categorised in one of five ways:
- Product focused - they know what they want and want to get it quick
- Browsers - they will spend a lot of time on the site, returning often
- Researchers - they like detailed product descriptions, excellent support and clear navigation
- Bargain hunters - they'll be in the sale section, and finding out about coupons or discount codes
- One-time shoppers - mostly folk with gift vouchers; they'll be checking out how to use their voucher
It seems clear to me that when it comes improving sales and overall customer satisfaction, the key to using this research is understanding how to recognise each customer type and present content appropriate to that type.
To stimulate economic growth retailers are now focussing more on ecommerce. EBay's John Donahoe shares his vision of a cross-breeding of online and offline services, with online orders being delivered from local shops and physical purchases being paid "in-store" with your mobile phone.
Skeuocard aims to simplify the entering of credit card details for online payments.