Here's a great way to include social icons on your site without breaking a bandwidth sweat: Super Tiny Social Icons is a bunch of really tiny SVG files (all less than 1k). Includes a lot of the most common services so no reason not to use them.
I Left Facebook, And You Can Too. Do you really need Facebook in your life? No.
Use Google+ Hangouts to boost your business
Google+ Hangouts let you do cheap teleconferencing for up to ten people; this includes using live video as part of a demonstration. Hosting a Hangout on a subject relevant to your business is a great way to:
- Demonstrate a new service or product
- Get feedback from your customers
- Increase brand recognition
- Build a stronger following
- Enhance your position as a leader in your field
All Hangout conversations are saved for future reference, letting you revisit shared ideas and images.
For more information read How to Build Your Brand with Google+ Hangouts On Air.
The complete guide to using social media for customer service: lots of fascinating facts and useful tips in this article for harnessing the power of social media to provide a better customer service.
How to get more Twitter followers
Looking at this hefty article on Moz, if you want to get more followers on Twitter you need to be strong-headed, ruthless, proactive and somewhat egocentric.
Of their seventeen suggestions, here's my favourite bits:
- Start a conversation - ask your followers something meaningful and create a dialogue that will encourage others to participate
- Look good - having more followers than friends tells potential followers that your Tweets are compelling
- Engage unreciprocating friends - if you follow someone but they don't follow you back, start a conversation with them
- Tweet regularly - once or twice a day is fine
- Reply quickly - this means having your Twitter client open all the time to catch @mentions
It's not you, it's not me, it's Facebook. Social networking isn't always a good thing.
Social media may soon drive more traffic to your site than search engines, so if you're not currently using a third-party social networking service like Twitter or Facebook, then get started right away.